Tuesday 29 May 2012

Today is a better day

Soooo today is better. Yesterday was tough. At one point yesterday Ali-bear and I had a conversation on the potty that went like this:
A- "maaahm, how many times do I have to tell you? nooo pottyyyy."
(Keep in mind this came from my just 2 year old, so it sounded more like "maahm, how tie tow yewww...")
ME- you don't get to speak to me like that
A- screeched so loudly it hurt
ME-screamed so loudly it hurt.........
Then we are both crying. UGH. I am seriously scared for the next few years of terror tantrums. It's a christmas miracle she didn't get strangled!!

I feel like because my kids refuse to potty train it is somehow a failure on my part.  There is so much going on at any given moment with the three of them that I sometimes can't keep up...which make me irritated...which make me angry...which makes me have a "mommy tantrum." Yesterday I said to my husband, "today I feel like they just hate me."
 I have to tell you about a friend who described potty training training her 21 month old with the use of spanking and yelling after accidents. The most interesting part, to me, was that it worked. Within 3 days he stopped having accidents. I was impressed that it worked, but it is certainly is not my style. When teaching a child a new skill it seems pretty messed up to spank them when they don't get it. If I was teaching my kids to spell, and they misspelled a word, would it make sense to spank them? Not really.

Every kid is different, and needs a different approach. Having to apply 3 different approaches to 3 same-aged children at once....yah....not easy.
But then they look into my eyes and say "mom, no sad. No cry. Ok mom?" And I'm melted again. Today I got my do-over...I am happy to report two accidents between them today so far. Ahhhhhh...that's better. I may survive this yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment