Monday 28 May 2012

Potty training = kill me now

I started potty training the twins about a month ago. They are 25 months old. My thinking was that it could be easier to do now, before they are more defiant and know how to use it against me. Ohhh boy. They know how to use it against me. I have never felt more like screaming, more inadequate, or more like I don't know what the hell I am doing. Normally I feel like a pretty in control mom. I have had my "mommy tantrums," and any mom who doesn't...I would love to know how that is possible. But potty training has literally made me insane. They test me in ways that make me realize they are so much smarter than I ever thought. They have realized that they can get a reaction out of me, and they repeat until I react. My twins Ali-bear and Dreydrey, have tested me to my limits. We have days when we are all crying, yelling monsters. I see why many moms say "they're just not ready" and put potty training off for a while. I probably should. But I am just too stubborn. Over a month later and I still clean up an accident every other hour. Some days are better than others. The most frustrating part is how they flop roles. Dreydrey caught on instantly, and within 3 days was mostly accident free. A month later she suddnely refuses to use the potty ever, for 3 straight days. Peeing wherever she stands. SO FRUSTRATING. Ali-bear didn't pee on the potty even ONCE until eight days into it. A month later she figured it out and has been better. And my poor son TT, so ignored during all this, has been wonderful. My attention is always so divided between them, so they do anything to get more, even negative attention. There are so many conflicting ways to go about training and although some feel like they work for a moment, nothing seems to stick. Who knew 1) that potty training would be so consuming. And 2) that it would teach me sooo much about parenting.
Today I need a do-over. Tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment